For a complete meal-in-one, you'll savor this slow-cooked ham, broccoli and rice dish that has all the goodness of an oven-baked casserole. "It's perfect for a Sunday afternoon dinner," informs Krista Harrison of Brazil, Indiana.
- 1 pound carrots
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds, cabbage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Cut carrots in half lengthwise and then into 2-in. pieces. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, soup mix, garlic and celery seed. Cut roast in half; place over carrot mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for 4 hours. Add cabbage; cook 2 hours longer or until the meat and cabbage are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving plate; keep warm. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy and serve with the roast. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Pork and Cabbage Dinner in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p43
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pork and Cabbage Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review