Pork and Apple Skewers
Meet the Cook: Necessity was the "mother" of this recipe! I'd already marinated the pork before realizing we were short on kabob vegetables. In place of them, I used apples I had on hand. This has since become one of my most requested dishes.
I have prepared these tangy skewers for just the two of us - my husband and I, married only last July, are both in the military - and for friends.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 medium unpeeled tart apples
- In a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container, combine
- the first six ingredients; mix well. Reserve 1/2 cup for basting and
- refrigerate. Add pork to remaining marinade and turn to coat. Seal
- bag or cover container; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and discard marinade. Cut the apples into 1-1/2-in. cubes.
- Alternate pork and apples on metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat, for 3 minutes on each side. Baste
- with the reserved marinade. Continue turning and basting for 8-10
- minutes or until meat juices run clear and apples are tender. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.