Pork 'n' Sweet Potato Salad
Instead of traditional salads that are tossed together, this is layered with somewhat tropical ingredients for a beautiful presentation. It's wonderful for special occasions.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small bunch romaine
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups cubed cooked pork
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3 tablespoons juice; set pineapple aside.
- Combine the juice, mayonnaise, curry powder and paprika. Line a
- large serving platter with romaine. Arrange potatoes, pork,
- pineapple, green pepper and onion on top. Sprinkle with almonds if
- desired. Top with curry dressing. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving of 2 cups salad with 2 tablespoons dressing (prepared with unsweetened pineapple, fat-free mayonnaise and lean pork and without almonds) equals 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 fruit; also, 329 calories, 329 mg sodium, 44 mg cholesterol, 57 gm carbohydrate, 18 gm protein, 3 gm fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon