Pork 'n' Pepper Tortillas Recipe
Muscatine, Iowa's Rica Hahnbaum seasons a pork roast with onions, garlic and spices, and cooks it slowly until tender. Then she shreds the flavorful meat and wraps it along with colorful peppers in warm tortillas.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds), halved
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 each large green, sweet red and yellow peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded lettuce, chopped ripe olives, sliced jalapeno peppers and sour cream, optional
- 1. Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, bouillon, garlic and seasonings; pour over roast. Top with onions. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 7-8 hours or until pork is very tender.
- 2. Remove meat; shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute peppers in butter until tender.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, place about 1/2 cup pork and onion mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with peppers. Add toppings if desired. Fold sides of tortilla over filling; serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 tortilla equals 417 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC