- 1 pound ground pork
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cups finely chopped Chinese or napa cabbage
- 1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained and finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups sushi or small grain rice
- Cabbage leaves, optional
- DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, mix teriyaki sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over meat mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly (mixture will be soft). With wet hands, shape into 1-in. balls; roll in rice to coat evenly.
- Line a steamer basket with cabbage leaves or parchment paper if desired. Arrange meatballs in batches 1 in. apart in steamer basket; place in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; steam, covered, 15-20 or until rice is tender, adding additional water as necessary. In a small bowl, mix dipping sauce ingredients. Serve with meatballs. Yield: about 4 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Pork & Rice Meatballs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p111
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Pork & Rice Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review