- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Porcupine Meatballs
"I was so disappointed! The long grain rice did not get cooked inside of the meatballs even after an hour. My family tried to eat them but no one was able to finish or enjoy them since the texture was crunchy rice:( I did not see one other comment with the same problem. What did I do wrong?"
"My family loves these meatballs. We have them once a month, at least!"
"Fabulous!!! I followed your recipe exactly, except doubled and added a can of rotel and one can of tomato sauce. Soooo delicious, and easy! Thank you!!"
"Good recipe. Followed it exactly. Mixture was not holding together like I wanted so I did add an egg and some bread crumbs. That did the trick."
"I make these with milk instead of water, and omit the brown sugar. I brown them and put them in pressure cooker for 20 minutes. I got a pressure cooker 49 yrs ago so I could make these for my husband."