These well-seasoned meatballs in a rich tomato sauce are one of my mom's best main dishes. I used to love this meal when I was growing up. I made it at home for our children, and now my daughters make it for their families.
-Darlis Wilfer, Phelps, Wisconsin
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and mix
- well. shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown
- meatballs in oil; drain. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar
- and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 284 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.