- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef and mix well. shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Porcupine Meatballs
Sort By :
"Good recipe. Followed it exactly. Mixture was not holding together like I wanted so I did add an egg and some bread crumbs. That did the trick."
"I make these with milk instead of water, and omit the brown sugar. I brown them and put them in pressure cooker for 20 minutes. I got a pressure cooker 49 yrs ago so I could make these for my husband."
"Very similar to recipe from WWII using the rice to stretch the scarce meat."
"My mom used to make these back in the 70's. They are just as good as I remember."
"This is a family favorite for us, has been since it was published in the cookbook many moons ago! My teen kids and in-laws (when visiting) request it often. The only thing I do different is omit the brown sugar, sometimes. Thanks for the recipe!"