Porcupine Cookies Recipe
Rolling this chocolaty dough in almonds creates a “porcupine” look. They toast while the cookies bake, saving you a step!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, melted chocolate, orange peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in almonds. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 84 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC