Porcini Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (1 ounce) dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) small pasta shells
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin or amber ale
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine dried mushrooms and boiling water; let stand 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove with a slotted spoon; rinse and finely chop. Discard liquid. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add portobello mushrooms and shallot; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in milk and beer. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheeses, salt and reserved mushrooms.
- 3. Drain pasta; add to mushroom mixture and toss to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Porcini Mac & Cheese
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.