- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks
- to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg
- yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle
- boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently
- stir in vanilla and nuts of desired.
- Split cakes in half and spread filling between layers. Chill. Just
- before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10-14
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 366 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.