Poppy Seed Torte Recipe
I've loved this torte since I was a youngster, and now I can pass it on to my eight grandchildren. It's easy to make and tastes so good!
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place poppy seeds and milk in a small bowl; soak for 1 hour. Add vanilla. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add poppy seed mixture.
- 2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fold in egg whites. Spread into two well-greased and lightly floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla and nuts of desired.
- 5. Split cakes in half and spread filling between layers. Chill. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10-14 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 366 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Torte
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC