Poppy Seed Thumbprints Recipe
My oldest son is a huge fan of these thumbprints, so I make sure they're on my baking list every Christmas. Lemon peel and poppy seeds help give this crisp cookie fantastic flavor. —Kelly Pember, Wheeler, WI
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:60 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, oil, lemon peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture.
- 2. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill with preserves.
- 3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 65 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC