Poppy Seed Thumbprints
This crisp little cookie has the fantastic flavor of shortbread. A dollop of raspberry preserves on top makes them festive for the holidays.Kelly Pember, Wheeler, Wisconsin
60 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and
- confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in egg, oil, lemon peel and
- vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds and salt;
- gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a
- wooden spoon handle. Fill with preserves.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans
- to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 65 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium,