My oldest son is a huge fan of these thumbprints, so I make sure they're on my baking list every Christmas. Lemon peel and poppy seeds help give this crisp cookie fantastic flavor. —Kelly Pember, Wheeler, WI
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, oil, lemon peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill with preserves.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Thumbprints in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p129
Reviews for Poppy Seed Thumbprints
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review