- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery or mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the soup, horseradish, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Spoon meat mixture over dough. Roll out the remaining dough into 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; place over filling. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into small squares. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Squares in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p14
Reviews for Poppy Seed Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review