Poppy Seed Rolls
I've made these often for Sunday dinner, and they are delicious! There's nothing like homemade rolls to top off a meal.
18 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar;
- let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in milk, shortening, salt, egg and
- remaining sugar. Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide
- into 18 pieces. Shape into balls. Place in greased muffin cups.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 375°
- for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire
- racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.