- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in milk, shortening, salt, egg and remaining sugar. Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 18 pieces. Shape into balls. Place in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 375° for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Rolls in Country October/November 1999, p51
Reviews for Poppy Seed Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 21, 2010
"This are lovely and tender. I just baked them on a tray instead of bothering with the muffin cups, and used the breadmachine to make the dough. Came out perfect and my friend raved about having home made rolls with their lunch!"