Poppy Seed Roll Recipe
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) poppy seed filling
- 1-1/3 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Add 2 beaten eggs and the vanilla extract. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine milk mixture, yeast mixture and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 18-in. rectangle. Spread with poppy seed filling and 1 cup nuts. Starting with the long side, roll up dough and pinch the edges to seal.
- 4. Place on a large greased baking sheet, seam side down. Curve slightly to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Beat remaining egg with 1 teaspoon water; brush over top. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Glaze with confectioners' sugar icing and top with remaining nuts. Yield: 1 bread.
1 slice: 317 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Roll
"Made this today and it was as good as described. Great recipe."
"I have never seen poppy seed filling in the grocery store. Where can I find it? email@example.com"
"This recipe has become a Christmas morning tradition for my family."