Poppy Seed Roll Recipe
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) poppy seed filling
- 1-1/3 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Add 2 beaten eggs and the vanilla extract. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine milk mixture, yeast mixture and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 18-in. rectangle. Spread with poppy seed filling and 1 cup nuts. Starting with the long side, roll up dough and pinch the edges to seal.
- Place on a large greased baking sheet, seam side down. Curve slightly to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg with 1 teaspoon water; brush over top. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Glaze with confectioners' sugar icing and top with remaining nuts. Yield: 1 bread.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Roll
Sort By :
"Made this today and it was as good as described. Great recipe."
"I have never seen poppy seed filling in the grocery store. Where can I find it? email@example.com"
"This recipe has become a Christmas morning tradition for my family."
"This is a delicious bread, one I sent to my college son on his birthday! It makes a HUGE loaf, but it can easily be cut after it bakes and stored in the freezer. I make it without the icing as it's nice to have a not too sweet bread sometimes."