Poppy Seed Plum Muffins
Bring the harvest-fresh taste of ripe plums to the breakfast table with these change-of-pace muffins. Carol Twardzik of Spy Hill, Saskatchewan tops them with fruit jam. "I don't mind making an extra batch because they freeze so well," she notes.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled fresh plums
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl,
- beat the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until
- moistened. Fold in plums. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups
- two-thirds full.
- Bake at 425° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: One muffin equals 175 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.