Poppy Seed Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, oil and lemon juice. Combine the flour, lemon peel, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into prepared pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Place rack on waxed paper. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; brush over warm cake. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 302 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Lemon Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.