Poppy Seed Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, oil and lemon juice. Combine the flour, lemon peel, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into prepared pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Place rack on waxed paper. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice; brush over warm cake. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cool completely before cutting. Yield: 14 servings.
One piece equals 302 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Lemon Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.