Poppy Seed Kolaches Recipe
Preparing and sharing recipes I made as a boy are what keep me young at heart. And since I'm retired, I have plenty of time to bake treats like this for our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.Carl & Isobel Wanasek, Rogers, Arkansas
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- POPPY SEED FILLING:
- 3/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Confectioners' sugar glaze, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the next seven ingredients and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into walnut-size balls; roll each into a 2-1/2-in. circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; brush with butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring poppy seeds and water to a boil; boil 1 minute or until thickened. Add milk and raisins; simmer for 10 minutes. Add sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Make a depression, about 1-1/2 in. in diameter, in the center of each roll; fill with 2 teaspoons of filling. Bake at 400° for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Drizzle with glaze if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Kolaches in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p47
Reviews for Poppy Seed Kolaches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review