- lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking
- constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a
- spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and
- refrigerate until chilled.
- For scones, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds,
- cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture
- resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice,
- egg, egg yolk and orange peel; stir into crumb mixture just until
- moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough into four portions. Pat each portion into a 7-in.
- circle. Spread poppy seed filling over two circles. Top with
- remaining circles; pinch edges to seal.
- Transfer to two greased baking sheets. Combine egg white and water;
- brush over scones. Cut each into eight wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm
- with lemon curd. Yield: 16 scones (1-1/2 cups lemon curd).
To Make Ahead: Lemon curd can be made up to 1 week in advance; cover and store in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Facts: 1 scone with 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon curd equals 374 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 329 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.