Poppy Seed-Filled Scones with Lemon Curd Recipe
These scones are lovely when cut into wedges and draped with lemon curd. I often mix up the batter the night before and pop them into the oven the next morning to bake up fresh and golden brown.Shannon Koene, Blacksburg, Virginia
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) poppy seed cake and pastry filling
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- For scones, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, egg, egg yolk and orange peel; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough into four portions. Pat each portion into a 7-in. circle. Spread poppy seed filling over two circles. Top with remaining circles; pinch edges to seal.
- Transfer to two greased baking sheets. Combine egg white and water; brush over scones. Cut each into eight wedges, but do not separate. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with lemon curd. Yield: 16 scones (1-1/2 cups lemon curd).
Originally published as Poppy Seed-Filled Scones with Lemon Curd in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p85
Reviews for Poppy Seed-Filled Scones with Lemon Curd(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review