Poppy Seed Egg Bread
In Berkshire, Massachusetts, Lorraine Darocha prepares this light eggy loaf with poppy seeds throughout. "It's simple to make in the bread machine...or use the dough setting, shape it into a traditional braided challah loaf and bake it in the oven," she suggests.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
editor's Note: Use of the timer feature is not recommended.