Poppy Seed Easter Cake Recipe
A few years ago, this cake became our traditional Easter dinner dessert. It's so much fun to decorate...and so delicious to eat! —Gena Aschleman, West Columbia, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:14-16 servings
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Green food coloring
- 1/2 cup jelly beans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the sour cream, milk, lemon juice, peel and vanilla; add to creamed mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in poppy seeds (batter will be thick).
- 2. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Place 1 cup of frosting in a small bowl and tint pale green; set aside.
- 4. To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; frost top with white frosting. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip No. 3. Fill bag with green frosting. Write "Happy Easter" on top of cake. With multi-opening or grass tip No. 233, pipe green frosting on top of cake to resemble a bird's nest. Pipe green frosting around top edge of cake. Place jelly beans in nest. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 786 calories, 38 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 157 mg cholesterol, 585 mg sodium, 106 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC