- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Green food coloring
- 1/2 cup jelly beans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the sour cream, milk, lemon juice, peel and vanilla; add to creamed mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in poppy seeds (batter will be thick).
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Place 1 cup of frosting in a small bowl and tint pale green; set aside.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; frost top with white frosting. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip No. 3. Fill bag with green frosting. Write "Happy Easter" on top of cake. With multi-opening or grass tip No. 233, pipe green frosting on top of cake to resemble a bird's nest. Pipe green frosting around top edge of cake. Place jelly beans in nest. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Easter Cake
"This cake was so good. It has an interesting taste which everyone just loved."
"This cake was beautiful and tasted good, too. It was a perfect addition to our family Easter get-together!"
"Absolutely delicious -- festive and easy to make. Mine did not look as pretty as the one pictured, but that did not stop it from being devoured."