Poppy Seed Cranberry Bread Recipe
I make poppy seed bread about once a month. So one Christmas, I decided to make it a little more festive by stirring in some cranberries. My family loved the colorful addition. —Cindy Harmon, Stuarts Draft, Virginia
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, beat the egg, milk, butter, vanilla and lemon peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over cooled loaf. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC