Poppy Seed Coffee Cake Recipe
I tasted this cake while visiting a friend in South Dakota. The memory of it stayed with me for years, until I finally called and asked her for the recipe. It was her mother’s recipe, and she was glad to share it. I’ve made it often since then, and it’s always a hit. Sometimes I’ll sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar, and slices are also good spread with butter.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 3. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Carefully top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 250 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Coffee Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC