- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Poppy seeds
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in water. Combine milk, shortening and salt; stir into yeast mixture. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down; press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Combine the egg, milk, onion and cheese; spread over dough. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Cheese Bread in Reminisce January/February 1996, p47
Reviews for Poppy Seed Cheese Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review