Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe
This recipe, passed down from my mother, is perfect for church or social functions. I can be made ahead (it freezes beautifully) and is not sticky or crumbly—that's important if you're trying to walk around and socialize.
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place poppy seeds and buttermilk in a bowl; soak for 2 hours. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat well. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter; set aside.
- 3. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle a third into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of batter; sprinkle with half of the remaining filling. Cut through with a knife to swirl. Repeat with remaining batter and filling.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Turn out immediately onto wire rack to cool. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 slice: 242 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2014
"Nice recipe :)"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC