Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe
This recipe, passed down from my mother, is perfect for church or social functions. I can be made ahead (it freezes beautifully) and is not sticky or crumbly—that's important if you're trying to walk around and socialize.
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place poppy seeds and buttermilk in a bowl; soak for 2 hours. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat well. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter; set aside.
- 3. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle a third into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of batter; sprinkle with half of the remaining filling. Cut through with a knife to swirl. Repeat with remaining batter and filling.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Turn out immediately onto wire rack to cool. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 242 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC