Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe
This recipe, passed down from my mother, is perfect for church or social functions. I can be made ahead (it freezes beautifully) and is not sticky or crumblythat's important if you're trying to walk around and socialize.
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place poppy seeds and buttermilk in a bowl; soak for 2 hours. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks; beat well. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter; set aside.
- Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle a third into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of batter; sprinkle with half of the remaining filling. Cut through with a knife to swirl. Repeat with remaining batter and filling.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Turn out immediately onto wire rack to cool. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bundt Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p16
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bundt Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review