Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze Recipe
"My neighbor gave me this recipe, and I love that it makes two loaves," says Heather Frese of Albany, Missouri. " We usually eat one and then give the other away or freeze it for later. The glaze complements the bread perfectly."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, poppy seeds, butter flavoring and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 190 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC