"My neighbor gave me this recipe, and I love that it makes two loaves," says Heather Frese of Albany, Missouri. " We usually eat one and then give the other away or freeze it for later. The glaze complements the bread perfectly."
Recommended: 60 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, poppy seeds, butter flavoring and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bread in Country Woman October/November 2008, p7
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2010
"You have to try this....super moist and delicious. But I warn you, you won't stop with just a slice!"