Poppy Seed Bread Mix Recipe
"I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are quick, easy and use ingredients I normally have on hand," relates Laurie Marini of Newport, North Carolina. This simple seeded loaf is delicious alone or spread with cream cheese or jam. "It freezes well, too," Laurie adds.
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (16 cups total).
- 2. To prepare one loaf: In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Add 4 cups bread mix; stir just until moistened.
- 3. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf per batch.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 188 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC