Poppy Seed Bread Mix Recipe
"I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are quick, easy and use ingredients I normally have on hand," relates Laurie Marini of Newport, North Carolina. This simple seeded loaf is delicious alone or spread with cream cheese or jam. "It freezes well, too," Laurie adds.
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (16 cups total).
- To prepare one loaf: In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Add 4 cups bread mix; stir just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf per batch.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bread Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p19
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bread Mix(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2013
Prepared per recipe -very dry; will try again with remaining mix after researching HOW MUCH & WHAT to add