This moist, rich bread is so delicious—it's very popular in our area. It gets golden brown and looks great sliced for a buffet. I also like to make miniature loaves to give as gifts. —Faye Hintz, Springfield, Missouri
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Add the eggs, milk, oil and extracts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes. Cool completely in pans.
- In a saucepan, bring glaze ingredients to a boil. Pour over bread in pans. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bread in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p39
Reviews for Poppy Seed Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review