Poppy Cheddar Muffins
When she was a teenager, Patricia VanWyk of Newton, Iowa adapted this recipe from a cookbook. "Since we didn't have the caraway seeds called for in the original recipe, I substituted poppy seeds," she explains. "We liked the savory cheese-topped muffins so well I still make them this way."
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt.
- Combine egg, milk and oil; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients
- just until moistened. Fold in cheese. Fill greased or paper-lined
- muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or
- until muffins test done. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 179 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.