Popovers make even an inexpensive meal fun and special, assures Lourdes Dewick of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottom and
- sides of six 6-oz. custard cups or the cups of popover pan. If using
- custard cups, place on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs; blend in milk and butter. Beat in flour
- and salt until smooth (do not overbeat).
- Fill cups half full. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to
- 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until very firm. Remove from the
- oven and prick each popover to allow steam to escape. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 161 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.