Popover Apple Pie Recipe
This is a family favorite that's perfect for cozy winter nights. The golden brown crust bakes in the oven, and the apple and cranberry filling cookings in the microwave, then is spooned into the crust. —Beki Kosydar-Krantz of Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup cold orange juice
- 1 package (.8 ounce) sugar-free cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 6 large peeled tart apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Combine the eggs, egg whites and milk; whisk into the dry ingredients just until blended. Pour into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not open oven door). Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until deep golden brown (do not underbake).
- 3. In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk the orange juice, pudding mix and apple pie spice. Stir in apple and cranberries. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring once. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until apples are tender, stirring once.
- 4. Spoon hot apple mixture into crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 202 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat
Reviews for Popover Apple Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC