VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup cold orange juice
- 1 package (.8 ounce) sugar-free cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 6 large peeled tart apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Combine the eggs, egg whites and milk; whisk into the dry ingredients just until blended. Pour into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not open oven door). Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until deep golden brown (do not underbake).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk the orange juice, pudding mix and apple pie spice. Stir in apple and cranberries. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring once. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until apples are tender, stirring once.
- Spoon hot apple mixture into crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Popover Apple Pie in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p39