I am candy maker who gets wrapped up in Christmas, For many years, I have given away my sweet treats in a popcorn sleigh. It's easy to do...and makes a fun, edible centerpiece, too. Just add a few candles and sprigs of pine to help set a festive scene.—Donna Torres, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 4 candy canes
- 2 large green gumdrops
- 6 red-hot candies
- Assorted wrapped peppermint candies
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring
- to a boil; cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reaches
- 250° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; add the butter and
- food coloring. Set aside 2 tablespoons. Place the popcorn in a large
- bowl; drizzle with remaining syrup. Stir until well coated.
- For sleigh, press popcorn mixture onto the bottom and all the way up
- the ides of a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan, forming a 1-in.-thick
- shell. Beginning 3 in. from one corner, remove a small amount of
- popcorn mixture from a long side, so side tapers toward front end,
- as shown in photo at lower left. Repeat on the other side. Remove
- from the pan. Curve the sleigh front toward the back.