Field editor Edna Hoffman of Hebron, Indiana writes, "These sweet chewy snacks are made from one of our state's most popular crops—popcorn! This version has a nice caramel color and flavor."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan,
- combine the brown sugar, water, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue cooking,
- without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 270°
- (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over popcorn; stir to
- coat. When cool enough to handle, quickly shape into balls. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 331 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 446 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.