Poor Man's Steak Recipe
These flavorful "steaks" fit into everybody's budget. A special friend shared the recipe, and I think of her each time I make this. - Susan Wright, Mineral Wells, West Virginia
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Hot mashed potatoes or noodlles
- In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs, water, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into 3-in. squares; dredge in flour. In a large skillet, cook meat squares in oil until browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spatula or spoon. Add soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Poor Man's Steak in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p66
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Poor Man's Steak(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >