Poor Man's Filet Mignon
Kansas ranks fifth in beef production, so this is a fitting recipe for our state. Our family, including the grandchildren, loves this hearty main dish.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 slices bread, crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 12 bacon strips
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients and 2
- tablespoons barbecue sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Form into 12 patties. Wrap a bacon slice around the sides of each
- patty and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 50-60 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; basting frequently
- with remaining barbecue sauce the last 30 minutes. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 314 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 1,000 mg sodium,