Poor Boy Sandwich
Field editor Violet Beard of Marshall, Illinois shares her recipe for a fresh-tasting tuna sandwich.
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 French or submarine roll
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off top of roll; set aside. Hollow out center,
- reserving 1/2 cup of bread and leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Combine
- butter and celery seed; spread over inside of roll and on cut
- surface of top. Combine remaining ingredients and reserved bread;
- spoon into roll. Replace top. Yield: 1 serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 787 calories, 49 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 1,262 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 50 g protein.