Poor Boy Loaf
"A zippy spread flavors this hot sandwich loaf," reports Marcia Orlando of Boyertown, Pennsylvania. "Hearty appetites will appreciate this savory, satisfying snack."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 unsliced loaf (12 ounces) Italian bread
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/3 cup pickled sweet pepper rings
- Cut bread into 1/2-in. slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, mustard, parsley, garlic and
- red pepper flakes. Spread on every other slice. Place tomatoes,
- mozzarella, salami and pepper rings between the buttered slices.
- Wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 316 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 830 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.