Pomegranate Poached Pears Recipe
- 3 cups dry red wine or red grape juice
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) pomegranate juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (4 inches)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 6 medium pears
- 6 orange slices
- 6 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Core pears from the bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; place on their sides in the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until pears are almost tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; cool.
- Strain poaching liquid and return to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 45 minutes. Discard rosemary and cinnamon. Place an orange slice on each serving plate; top with 1 tablespoon cheese and a pear. Drizzle with poaching liquid. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now