In Hobe Sound, Florida, Evelyn DeLuca quickly prepares this colorful vegetable medley on the stovetop. Coated with a pineapple sauce, the pretty dinner accompaniment offers tasty change of pace.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups fresh or frozen sugar snap peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 can (6 ounces) unsweetened pineapple juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes; add snap peas
- and water chestnuts. Simmer 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables
- are crisp-tender.
- Combine cornstarch and pineapple juice until smooth; gradually add to
- pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until
- thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 107 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch,