Polynesian Sausage Supper
"When my sister first served us this unusual medley, I couldn't believe how good it was because she had thrown it together so quickly," informs Laura McCarthy of Butte, Montana. "Sweet pineapple really adds to the taste."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper until
- the vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, garlic powder and pepper. Drain
- pineapple, reserving juice. Stir pineapple into sausage mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice until smooth;
- gradually add to sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 332 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,021 mg sodium,