Polynesian Sausage Supper Recipe
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, garlic powder and pepper. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Stir pineapple into sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice until smooth; gradually add to sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 332 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,021 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Polynesian Sausage Supper
"We got uncooked sausage with castings instead of smoked sausage. I was confused and it definitely should have had cooked sausage. I think it needed a little salt. It was tasty. Tidbits would have been better for this."
"Saw this in the original 2001 magazine, have been making it ever since! I also add a chopped red pepper for extra nutrition and color."
"This was very good. I really enjoyed it. I did not change anything when making this recipe. Quick and easy to make."
"Love this dish. We have it quite often. I use the pineapple tidbits because the chunks seemed too much. My daughter uses the crushed pineapple because her family likes the sweetness all the way throughout the dish. Whichever way, I have given this recipe to many people that really like it."
"My family loves this! Quick and easy - and tastes wonderful."
"THe best food for the family ."
"I used smoked turkey sausage. Other than that I did not change a thing and it was great!"
"I didn't have any smoked sausage so I tried it with brats. I think that next time I should stick with the recipe. I also used crushed pineapple instead of cubed. I thought that part worked just fine."
"I always know a recipe is good if my husband goes back for seconds - he went back for thirds with this recipe! I did follow the advice of a previous rating and added additional brown sugar, cider vinegar and soy sauce - no further seasoning was needed"
"I have made this several times, and everyone always loves it."
"We enjoy this recipe quite often. It is quick plus it is delicious"
"This meal is incredible, have been making it for years and never tire of it! Do not use beef broth at all when making mine. Cook sausage in pineapple juice before adding veggies. Use sweetened pineapple."
"We love this recipe. The sweet and tangy taste goes well over rice. It is quick to make and leftovers reheat well. I make it often"
"This recipe wasn't gross, but it wasn't tasty. We finally added about 3 TBSP of soy sauce and that helped enough to finish the mean."
"Really GREAT recipe and very easy to make. I haven't tried with smoked sausage only sweet Italian sausage. And sometimes I'll add some Chinese veg. in the can (water chestnuts, bamboo shoots). Someday I'll try the smoked sausage. You can't go wrong with this one. Thanks again."