- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 hoagie buns, split
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°. Remove chicken; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Shred chicken with two forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through.
Serve with buns and, if desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve on buns. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Polynesian Pulled Chicken
"It was very good, mine did not thicken up either. Used frozen peppers & onion mixture thawed, maybe should of blotted with paper towel. Made it for a pot luck. Most of it went. Making again today for our dinner. My question is where is the calorie info??"
"The chicken had a wonderful taste, fairly sweet. The sauce never really thickened up, so the sandwiches were very messy and drippy. Don't know if I'll make this again."